[Mailman-Users] packages vs sources

Danil Smirnov danil at smirnov.la
Tue Apr 21 22:38:15 CEST 2015

> They are things that are in some sense left over from a prior install of
> a distro's Mailman package. Had you just installed Mailman from source
> without ever installing the package, you would not be aware of them.
> Thus, they are artifacts left over from the package.

Using 'service' scripts to control ALL server's services (Mailman IS a
service irrespective of its version, right?) isn't absurd or
non-sense. I think one should respect distribution structure and keep
things work as distribution creator's intended.

Considering this 'packagers related' stuff as not important and
insisting on 'native' way to use cron has less sense for me than the
opposite. Why standard control of Mailman service in very popular
distribution family has no reflection in Mailman documentation you
mentioned and sometimes considers like 'artefacts'?

May be this attitude has some influence on that fact that there is so
old version of Mailman in last Centos release?...

Danil