[Mailman-Users] Issue with postfix-to-mailman.py (Command died with status 127)

Barry S. Finkel bsfinkel at att.net
Sun Apr 19 17:12:10 CEST 2015

On 4/19/2015 4:30 AM, Matthieu Berjon wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> I met an issue in trying to set up Mailman. Here is the error message I
> get from postfix:
>
>      Command died with status 127:
>              "/usr/local/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py". Command
>          output: env: python: No such file or directory
>

> I have a working postfix server running (at least, that's what I believe
> as emails for user account works). When I sent a message a message to
> the list, postfix seems to manage correctly the email and doesn't
> complain about it.
>
> My guess is that I probably missed something obvious or didn't
> understand something in the configuration.
>
> What I'm using:
>
> - FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p6
> - Postfix 2.11.4,1
> - Mailman 2.1.20
>
> Here some outputs that maybe would help.
>
> postconf -n
>
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,
> hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
> command_directory = /usr/local/sbin
> config_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix
> daemon_directory = /usr/local/libexec/postfix
> data_directory = /var/db/postfix
> debug_peer_level = 2
> debugger_command = PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin ddd
> $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
> home_mailbox = Maildir/
> html_directory = /usr/local/share/doc/postfix
> inet_protocols = ipv4
> mail_owner = postfix
> mailman_destination_recipient_limit = 1
> mailq_path = /usr/local/bin/mailq
> manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
> mydomain = earswideopen.net
> myhostname = smtp.earswideopen.net
> mynetworks_style = host
> myorigin = $mydomain
> newaliases_path = /usr/local/bin/newaliases
> queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
> readme_directory = /usr/local/share/doc/postfix
> recipient_delimiter = +
> relay_domains = lists.earswideopen.net
> sample_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix
> sendmail_path = /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
> setgid_group = maildrop
> smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
> soft_bounce = no
>
> /etc/postfix/master.cf
>
> smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
> mailman   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>    flags=FR user=mailman:mailman
> argv=/usr/local/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py
>    ${nexthop} ${user}
>
> /usr/local/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py
>
> # Configuration variables - Change these for your site if necessary.
> MailmanHome = "/usr/local/mailman"; # Mailman home directory.
> MailmanOwner = "postmaster at earswideopen.net"; # Postmaster and abuse
> mail recipient.
>
> By the way, this file belongs to mailman:mailman
>

> I'm quite lost on this error and didn't find any information about this
> kind of issue lately. If someone has some ideas, that would be much
> [...]

Look at

http://wiki.list.org/DOC/How%20do%20I%20configure%20postfix_to_mailman.py%3F

That postfix_to_mailman module is not part of the SourceForge
Mailman; it has been added by Debian (and Ubuntu) as part of their
Mailman package.  The basic response that you will get from subscribers
to this list is that this module should not be used.  I have not looked
at the module code, so I have no idea what "problem" it was written to
solve.

As a related side issue - When I was managing a Mailman system on
an Ubuntu server, I researched the patches in the Ubuntu package.
Many were not documented, and I could find nothing about the problem(s)
they were written to solve.  And one patch removes a library that is
sometimes needed.   I decided at that time that it was better for me to
create my own Ubuntu package from the SourceForge source and install
that.  If I had a problem, I could post it on this list and get
expert advice.

--Barry Finkel