[Mailman-Users] What would your dream Mailman web interface look like?

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Tue Apr 7 01:48:57 CEST 2015

Andrew Stuart wrote:
> Any killer features that you’d like to see in the perfect Mailman web
> interface?

Thanks for asking.

Such an interface would work completely without running any Javascript
to do anything the interface can do. If Javascript is turned off in the
browser, the interface should work completely. If Javascript is turned
on in the browser, the Javascript should be free software and clearly
labeled as free Javascript so the LibreJS add-on will recognize it and
let the user run it. But no Javascript would be required to use the
Mailman interface at all. I see no reason why anyone's Mailman task
should require Javascript.

The perfect Mailman web interface would do what it needs to do with
links, form submissions, and CSS but work fully with text-only browsers
like lynx, links, and so on.

Disabled persons access is, of course, something a perfect interface
would offer. I am sure others can point you to the relevant
standards/linters to implement and validate this.

Also, the perfect Mailman web interface would let admins use gratis,
auto-renewing[1] TLS certificates such as what letsencrypt.org is
proposing to do[2]. Until we can get away from the current
ridiculousness to publish encrypted websites, letsencrypt.org is the
most promising practical means I know of to increase the number of
encrypted websites. A Mailman web interface should offer a 1-click means
of acquiring a letsencrypt.org certificate that automatically renews
itself until the admin clicks the button again to stop using that
letsencrypt.org certificate. And it should be trivially easy to make all
visits to the site use encryption.

The defaults for this web interface are critical because they will be
what most installations will offer (I believe most users of most
programs don't change or investigate defaults).

[1] I know this automation requires the interface's back-end to do the
renewing using letsencrypt.org API, but from the admin's perspective
this is automatic certificate renewing.

[2] Obviously I don't know the details of letsencrypt.org's setup
because they've not yet begun production use of their service.