[Mailman-Users] What would your dream Mailman web interface look like?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Apr 3 14:45:59 CEST 2015

On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 06:48:12AM +1100, Andrew Stuart wrote:

> What’s on your wishlist for the perfect Mailman web interface?
>
> If you can provide links to show where your ideas are done well that would help to illustrate your thoughts.
>
> Any killer features that you’d like to see in the perfect Mailman web interface?

Are you referring to the administration UI, the subscribe UI, the
archives, or what?

Speaking rather generically:

A nice clean look. Perhaps a bit more modern than the current look, but
not cluttered or trying to emulate a full desktop application. Must be
friendly for the visually impaired. Nine point medium-grey text on a
light-grey background is evil.

Must be usable via text-based browsers, like lynxs, links, w3m.

Must degrade gracefully in the absence of Javascript. Preferably not
need Javascript at all.

At least some search functionality should be available. It shouldn't
rely on Google, or any external search engine. (E.g. your archive may be
private, or on a LAN where Google can't get to it.)

Archive URLs must be stable even if posts are deleted.

Access to the original posts should be possible. E.g. archives could
provide a link which goes to the raw email of the original post, as a
mbox file or even a text dump of the email (complete with all headers
and attachments). Alternatively, "Send me this post" should forward the
post to the user. (What are the security implementations of this? Can
this be used to spam or DOS others?) As a third option, perhaps archives
could have IMAP access? (Read-only for users, read/write for admin?)

Viewing public archives shouldn't require cookies. It's okay to require
them for admin access, or for private archives.

"Infinite scroll" is evil and must not be used, ever. Yes, yes, I know
that web developers have fallen in love with it. They're wrong.

Should support OpenID.

Are you aware of Hyperkitty?

https://fedorahosted.org/hyperkitty/wiki/WikiStart

--