[Mailman-Users] N00b with a CGI error

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 2 20:08:43 CEST 2015

On 04/01/2015 11:19 PM, brads wrote:
> I am on FreeBSD and I installed mailman from ports following this guide ->  http://www.purplehat.org/?page_id=18
>
> On first attempt to connect to the GUI, I get ->
>

> ßèEûÿÿUH‰åAVSHƒì H‰ÓÇ0 H‹= H‹5 è•üÿÿWÀ)EÐH‹ï H‰EàHUпŒ@¾

Much of your post is garbled like this.

> HƒÃøHƒøÿuñHƒÄ[]АHƒìèÿùÿÿHƒÄÃ/usr/local/mailman/scripts//usr/local/mailman/usr/local/bin/python2.7%s The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error. This entry is being stored in your syslog:%s--with-cgi-gidwebCGI--with-mail-gidmailFailure to find group name for GID %d. Mailman expected the %s wrapper to be executed as group "%s", but the system's %s server executed the wrapper as GID %d for which the name could not be found. Try adding GID %d to your system as "%s", or tweak your %s server to run the wrapper as group "%s".Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the %s wrapper script to be executed as group "%s", but the system's %s server executed the %s script as group "%s". Try tweaking the %s server to run the script as group "%s", or re-run configure, providing the command line option `%s=%s'.-SPYTHONHOME=PATH=
>
> à@„@@PYTHONPATH=Content-type: text/html

The %s replacements above should be replaced with actual values. That
would help.

> I tried adding mailman and www to wheel group, this had no effect.

That doesn't ever help.

First see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/4030645>. That may help you
understand what's going on.

If that doesn't help, consider that you are dealing with a package about
which I know nothing and see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/12812344>.

Also note that the guide you followed uses postfix_to_mailman.py. See
<http://wiki.list.org/x/15564817> and
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2012-September/074017.html>.
Your immediate problem is not with postfix_to_mailman.py, but the fact
that the guide recommends it makes the whole thing suspect in my mind.