[Mailman-Users] Mailman equivalent of Yahoo "Special Announcements"?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 19 17:25:50 CEST 2014

On 09/19/2014 07:49 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2014, at 02:50 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> I'm about to migrate a Yahoo Groups mailing list to mailman. Yahoo
>> Groups offers four delivery modes:
>>
>> - individual emails
>> - daily digests
>> - no mail
>> - special announcements only
>
> The closest thing to the latter is the Urgent header, but IIRC, that only
> bypasses digesting rules.  I.e. digest members will get an immediate
> delivery.

It also attempts delivery to members with delivery disabled. I.e. a post
containing an

Urgent: password

header where password is the list's admin or moderator password (should
that include the relatively new poster password?) will be sent now to
all list members regardless of status.

Note that this must be a real header. A first body line pseudo header
doesn't work here.

So, it seems that we can't completely emulate Yahoo in that we don't
have the ability to disable all delivery as opposed to disable delivery
for all but Urgent messages, but maybe we're close enough.