[Mailman-Users] Mailman equivalent of Yahoo "Special Announcements"?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Sep 18 18:50:34 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm about to migrate a Yahoo Groups mailing list to mailman. Yahoo
Groups offers four delivery modes:

- individual emails
- daily digests
- no mail
- special announcements only

and I have list members set to all four of them. The first three I can
easily deal with, but I'm not sure how to handle those set to the last.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between a Special Announcement
and a regular post in Yahoo Groups is that a moderator can tick a
checkbox when writing a Special Announcement on Yahoo's web UI.

I've scanned the FAQs and can't see anything obvious about this, nor can
I see anything in the mailman web UI. I could just decide not to support
this special announcements feature, but if I wanted to support it, what
would be a good approach? The only thing I can think of would be to
create a second list, mylist-announce, and subscribe everyone to that as
well as mylist. But that makes user management tricky, requires new
members to subscribe to both, unsubscribe from both, etc.

Have I missed something obvious? If not, is there another, simpler,
work-around?

Thank you,

--
Steve