[Mailman-Users] .psv files in /var/spool/mailman/in 2.1.9

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Sep 3 03:10:54 CEST 2014

On 08/19/2014 02:27 PM, Will Yardley wrote:
> I found some .psv files in /var/spool/mailman/in/ (RHEL 5 Mailman
> package; 2.1.9). That seems to be too early for the stuff mentioned here
> (and I don't see those options in Defaults.py)
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2009-June/066395.html

Correct. Mailman 2.1.9 doesn't write .psv files ayt all and those
versions that do only put them (in the RHEL package) in
/var/spool/mailman/bad/.

So where those files came form, I can't say.

> Is it safe to remove old .psv files in this directory directly via find
> / cron?

If you just

rm /var/spool/mailman/in/*.psv

one time, that should get rid of them and there should be no new ones,
but for curiousity, you might run Mailman's

bin/show_qfiles /var/spool/mailman/in/*.psv

first to see what's in them, although this may just throw the same
exceptions that caused them to be preserved in the first place.

In any case, yes, it is safe to remove them as Mailman never looks at them.

Note: if new ones appear, see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/OIDD>
and ask RedHat.