[Mailman-Users] AOL screening Reply-To header thru DMARC ?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Oct 19 01:37:01 CEST 2014

John Levine writes:

 > I would be surprised if AOL were doing DMARC checks on Reply-To,
 > and agree that it's not a problem worth solving.

I wouldn't.  As you know, John, we (dmarc at ietf.org) are all expecting
the spammers to emulate these DMARC mitigation various tricks.  If
they have any success, I would expect folks like AOL to do "something,
anything!" to mitigate *their* problem.

However, looking at the error message and noting Mark's testimony that

    AOL accepts the message on behalf of every AOL recipient except
    the original poster.

I guess that RLY:SN means "relay: screen name", and AOL is filtering
out "spam to self", an ancient trick to get past filters.