[Mailman-Users] Custom contact address, not site admin

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Nov 29 02:32:11 CET 2014

On 11/28/2014 04:16 AM, Henrik Rasmussen wrote:
> I found this, so it seems that there is no single way to change the site admin contact address, as messages seems to be associate with the list admin, according to the %(owneraddr)s in the bounce.txt

The %(owneraddr)s in templates/LC/bounce.txt is replaced by the site
email, not the list owner email.

> Some standard mails from Mailman, like "bounce action notice", urges the user to contact the Mailman site-list address*). While I still want system mails, meant for the site admin, to go to the site admin address, I would like to customize the contact address displayed in mails and on the web GUI, to show our helpdesk e-mail address instead.

If you really want it to display the helpdesk address, see below, but
the normal way to do this is to ensure that the site list (mailman at host)
accepts non-member posts and make the helpdesk a member of that list.

> Normally I would edit the file /usr/lib/mailman/messages/uk/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po and run /usr/lib/mailman/bin/msgfmt.py /usr/lib/mailman/messages/da/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po, but not all messages can be customized this way.

Those that aren't strings in the message catalog are in templates. E.g.,
the string "Questions? Contact the Mailman site administrator at
mailman at list.example.com." comes from (in English) the text

Questions?
Contact the Mailman site administrator at %(owneraddr)s.

in templates/en/bounce.txt. You could edit these templates for the
language(s) of interest and just replace %(owneraddr)s with the literal
address you want. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/jYA9> for where
to put edited templates so they survive upgrades.

> What is the best way to customize the site admin contact address in each e-mail and web-gui page, to display our helpdesk contact address?

You can change it everywhere including the admin and listinfo overview
pages by editing the get_site_email() function in Mailman/Utils.py.

This definition is

def get_site_email(hostname=None, extra=None):
    if hostname is None:
        hostname = mm_cfg.VIRTUAL_HOSTS.get(get_domain(), get_domain())
    if extra is None:
        return '%s@%s' % (mm_cfg.MAILMAN_SITE_LIST, hostname)
    return '%s-%s@%s' % (mm_cfg.MAILMAN_SITE_LIST, extra, hostname)

You would probably want to change only the second line of

    if extra is None:
        return '%s@%s' % (mm_cfg.MAILMAN_SITE_LIST, hostname)

to something like

    if extra is None: