[Mailman-Users] Unsubscribe Using Web Form

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Nov 9 16:27:20 CET 2014

On 11/08/2014 01:14 PM, Greg Sims wrote:

> It appears that
> Posting:
>
>         http://<SERVER>/mailman/subscribe/<LIST_NAME>
>             with:
>                 email => <EMAIL_ADDRESS>
>                 fullname => <USERS_NAME>
>                 email-button => "Subscribe"<MM-Results>

> always returns the contents of the file "subscribe.html" even in the
> presence
> of an invalid address like 'foo'.

Have you modified this template? The standard template contains the tag

<MM-Results>

which is replaced by an informative message.

> Posting:
>
>             http://<SERVER>/mailman/options/<LIST_NAME>
>                 with:
>                     email => <EMAIL_ADDRESS>
>                     login-unsub => "Unsubscribe"
>
> always returns the string "The confirmation email has been sent.".
> I need to find a way to Post a CGI to Unsubscribe that tells my code if the
> EMAIL_ADDRESS is subscribed to the list and if a validation email was
> actually
> sent.

As Richard indicated in another reply, if the membership roster is not
public, the responses are generic to prevent using the (un)subscribe
processes to fish for membership. Set the list's Privacy options... ->
Subscription rules -> private_roster to Anyone and you will get more
specific messages.