[Mailman-Users] set the same password if a user owns several lists?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 6 18:50:42 CET 2014

On 11/06/2014 01:30 AM, gerard wrote:

> i have mailman 2.1.8. Users own several lists, and they often lost their
> password to moderate the list.
> Is it possible to retrieve a form of the password of one list, to put it
> in another list? like we do with shadow passwords in unix system? i
> don't need to retrieve the password, just the encrypted form.

Yes. see below.

> With python shell, i try to look at file Mailman/Cgi/options.py.
> The Web interface told me that:
> "Sem-edp list run by me at example.org"
> but when i did:
> 'me at example.org'
> 0
> 'sem-edp-owner at example.org'
>
> is it normal?

Yes, that's normal.

I also find mlist.password thats returns something
> encrypted, is it what i need?

Yes, that is the encrypted list admin password. also there are
mlist.mod_password and, if you mean 2.1.18, but not in 2.1.8,
mlist.post_password which are respectively the moderator and list
posting passwords if any.