[Mailman-Users] multiple mailing list passwords

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Thu May 29 10:28:01 CEST 2014

On Wed, 28 May 2014, Tanstaafl wrote:

> You can create multiple accounts for the same URL with passwordmaker, so
> I think you just don';t understand totally how it works.

That's quite possible.

I did not install it, but read the online documentation, and I gathered
that it GENERATES passwords to be used on remote sites, requiring to
CHANGE those currently in use. Did I understand wrong ?

> On 5/27/2014 6:11 AM, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

>> Unfortunately this presupposes the ability to change the remote lsit
>> admin password, which in my case is fixed since it is shared by various
>> co-moderators
>
> Sorry, but I have no idea what you meant here.

Well, on one hand I meant that I MUST use the CURRENT passwords for the
remote site, because such password is used by other people too !

I guess it is not uncommon that the role of moderator of a mailman mailing
list is shared among different people (often in completely different
countries so that almost all timezones are covered).

On the other hand (and this is mailman specific), the web pages I was
referring to are the mailman "list administrator authentication" pages.
They are not properly "accounts" as they contain just a password field
but no username.

Since apparently firefox password database keys on the triplet (server
url, submit prefix, username), it is unable to save separate passwords if
server url and submit prefix are the same and there is no username !

My workaround (see previous post) was to make a local copy of the web
pages, adding a fake (different) username in a disabled control.

I hope it is clearer now