[Mailman-Users] dmarc_moderation_action isn't working

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed May 28 14:41:24 CEST 2014

Last week I upgraded to Mailman 2.1.18 in order to get the DMARC
workarounds new in that version. I set dmarc_moderation_action for my
list to "Munge From" and waited to see what would happen. Despite that I
seem to still be having DMARC bounces, as this morning I got 22 "Bounce
action notifications" for list subscribers from Mailman.

I'm running the just-released RPM for 2.1.18 on Fedora 20. I have the
python-dns package installed, which I read was required for DMARC
checks. When I grep my logs for 'DMARC', all I see are the bounce
messages in my Postfix log---so if the DMARC checks that should be made
when a post from a yahoo.com account comes to the list are failing,
they're failing in a way which isn't showing up.

There is one unusual thing about my list---namely that it sits at one
end of a bridge to a phpbb forum. That is, all of the posts from the
forum are posted to the list with their Sender set to a special address
which is subscribed to the list, and all post from the list are
received by that special address and posted to the forum from there.
This means that a lot of the addresses in From headers of messages going
out over the list are not actually subscribers to the list. Could this
be tripping up the dmarc_moderation_action?

--
J.