[Mailman-Users] multiple mailing list passwords

Conrad G T Yoder cgtyoder at alum.mit.edu
Mon May 26 19:24:45 CEST 2014

On May 26, 2014, at 10:04 AM, Lucio Chiappetti <lucio at lambrate.inaf.it> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 May 2014, Adam McGreggor wrote:
>
>> You might be able to set all passwords to be the same -- within your options page (e.g.,)
>
> I do use the same password for stuff which is mine only, but these are shared with other co-moderators. And apparently at NASA they are also over-concerned (I got the passwords by snail mail, on paper !!)
>
>>> Is anybody aware of any firefox add-on which allows to remember
>>> multiple password for one hostname (e.g. based on the full url of
>>> the list admin page) ?
>>
>> LastPass / 1password ?
>
> I should have added "add-on for firefox ON LINUX". Apparently this "1password" (which I did not find in the firefox add-on list) is not supported on Linux.
>
> I saw LastPass mentioned, but I gathered it stores passwords elsewhere than on my local machine (which I would not like). Is that correct ?

LastPass does do what you ask - store/serve passwords based on full URLs.  It works for me for multiple Mailman lists under 1 domain I have.  LP does indeed store your passwords on their servers, but they do not hold your Master Password, and all decryption is done client-side with in-browser JS.  So if you loose your MP, that’s the end of your PW store.  It’s about as secure as you can get without rolling your own.  It’s all free if you don’t use the mobile plugin feature, otherwise it’s $12/year - quite a deal I would say.

-Conrad

--
Who can you trust?