[Mailman-Users] Digest option for Yahoo and AOL subscribers?

Mark Rousell markr at signal100.com
Sun May 25 20:36:01 CEST 2014

On 25/05/2014 19:04, Richard Damon wrote:
> I suppose that the communities response should have been to just kick
> off all Yahoo (and later AOL) users from mailing list (as that is really
> one meaning of the DMARC setting announced), but the community had too
> much compassion for the "innocent" users (since the real problem was
> with Yahoo "management" not it's users). Perhaps if we had been
> hard-lined, they would get enough complaints and people leaving to force
> them to change their mind, but I more expect we would have punished a
> lot of innocent users who really don't want to go through the hassle of
> changing email providers, and are more apt to just drop off mailing lists.

Sadly I don't think this would have worked (although there might still
be time). It seems to me that the reason that Yahoo and AOL (especially
Yahoo) can get away with this at all is because of their market size.
All mail lists providers are tiny in terms of Yahoo's size and so what
they do has no real effect on Yahoo. Yahoo doesn't need to care if a few
of its users are inconvenienced; on their scale of operations it will
never be enough people to matter.

--
Mark Rousell

PGP public key: http://www.signal100.com/markr/pgp