[Mailman-Users] Problems with multi-machine slicing

Jeff Taylor shdwdrgn at sourpuss.net
Sun May 25 00:05:26 CEST 2014

After stopping mailman, machine #1 shows:
May 24 15:23:34 2014 (11512) Master qrunner detected subprocess exit
(pid: 11516, sig: None, sts: 15, class: IncomingRunner, slice: 1/3)

Machine #2:
May 24 15:21:56 2014 (12767) Master qrunner detected subprocess exit
(pid: 12769, sig: None, sts: 15, class: BounceRunner, slice: 2/3)

Machine #3:
May 24 15:22:16 2014 (31849) Master qrunner detected subprocess exit
(pid: 31858, sig: None, sts: 15, class: VirginRunner, slice: 3/3)

Now for even more strangeness...  After restarting mailman I sent
another test message.  Just so you know, my test list has three email
addresses in it, so I would expect the messages to get split up
generally between the three machines (and please confirm my
understanding... if the list has three users on it, each one of the
three machines should forward one message to one user from the list?).
However after restarting and sending 7 more tests, it seems to bounce
between machine #1 and #2 sending the messages.  In each case, one
machine sends the message to ALL users.  After waiting about 15 minutes
I sent several more test messages.  Now it seems to be randomly picking
one of the three machines to send from, but again the copy to all users
is sent from that one machine.  I suppose that is better than it was --
at least now all three machines are being used.  Is this the way its
supposed to be working?

Regarding the upgrade version, its been too long, I'm afraid I don't
know what the old version was.  The old machines are running ubuntu
oneiric and now have mailman 2.1.14.  The newer machines have debian
wheezy and mailman 2.1.15.  The upgrades happened a few months back, but
I only noticed the issue yesterday because I am trying to get rid of the
ubuntu machines and replace them with the debian machines.  The messages
have been getting delivered, but apparently one machine was handling
everything.