[Mailman-Users] Who authored the message?

Natu incoming-pythonlists at rjl.com
Mon May 19 23:02:51 CEST 2014

On 05/19/2014 10:02 AM, John Levine wrote:
>> So, addresses get rewritten as:
>>
>> From: yahoousername-AT-yahoo.com at mydomain.com
>> My sense is that someone could come up with arguments as to why this is
>> a bad idea, ...
> It's a bad idea for the same reason that all of the other anti-DMARC
> hacks are a bad idea, they break the existing usage of mail.
>
> Under the current unpleasant circumstances, it's not much worse than
> any other, give or take what you do with the replies.  Do you forward
> them back to the original user?  Reject with a mysterious failure
> code?  Discard them?

Thank you for your feedback.  I'm most inclined to handle replies based
on the needs of the particular list.  Personally I find myself sending
most replies to the list address and for small lists like the ones I
run, I think that's the best choice.   So I'm inclined to add/replace
the reply to header to the list address.   I know many high traffic
lists prefer the reply to default directly to the sender.  In that case,
if there is an existing reply-to, I would keep that, otherwise, copy the
original from header into the reply-to.

I run a mail client (thunderbird) which recognizes mailing lists, and so
provides me with a reply and a reply-list button.  My sense is that
there are alot of mail clients that don't do that, so the default has to
take that into consideration.  I think the defaults should provide the
best support for non-technical/inexperienced users.  Yahoo, by default
adds a reply-to header.

> RFC nitpick: the mailbox part of an address is limited to 64
> characters, so this has some risk of violating that limit, and there
> are a few MTAs that care.  The domain part can be up to 256 which is
> why I put my noise there.

Ok, I will consider that, though if I really get mailbox names that
long, maybe they should be treated as spam anyway.