[Mailman-Users] Executive summary of DMARC issues

Matthew Needham mneedham at hdfgroup.org
Thu May 15 16:00:45 CEST 2014

On May 14, 2014, at 22:47 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org<mailto:stephen at xemacs.org>> wrote:

If distribution lists are pure forwards, MS365 will be OK.  But I find
it hard to believe that that level of functionality is popular with
users -- there's a reason why all popular MLMs implement subject
prefixes, body headers and body footers, and it isn't "because it's
the Microsoft way".

Exchange Online (standalone or as part of Office 365) really does lack most of the basic mailing list functionality. It does have moderation, but no subject tagging, list footer, etc. I believe the main reason distribution groups get used is because of the integration with Outlook and compatibility with Exchange Calendaring (inviting a Mailman list to a meeting is bad). It is limited, but in many cases is “good enough”, and many people don’t know what they’re missing.

Here’s a table comparing select features of the two:

[cid:2EBFB349-BF05-4E11-BED3-DCE3885C4D60 at hdfgroup.uiuc.edu]

--

Matthew Needham
mneedham at hdfgroup.org<mailto:mneedham at hdfgroup.org>