[Mailman-Users] Dealing with rate limiting from Roadrunner/Time Warner

Conrad G T Yoder cgtyoder at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 15 15:46:36 CEST 2014

On May 15, 2014, at 12:21 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

> Conrad G T Yoder writes:
>
>> Has anyone had to deal with bounces due to rate limiting from
>> Roadrunner/Time Warner?
>
> Are these true bounces (ie, permanent delivery failures) or just the
> temporary failures due to rate limiting, causing delays of many hours
> or days in delivery?

It is a true bounce - mail is being rejected.  The error message is phrased as a "temporary failure," but the message is bounced at the SMTP transaction.  “At some point,” they stop bouncing.  RR won’t say when that happens.

<user at roadrunner.com>: delivery temporarily suspended: host
   cdptpa-pub-iedge-vip.email.rr.com[107.14.166.70] refused to talk to me: 421
   4.7.1 - Connection refused - <66.33.216.56> -  Too many concurrent
   connections ( <2> ) from source IP

>> http://postmaster.rr.com/spam#ratelimit
>>
>> If so, what did you do to resolve the problem?  (That is, if things
>> “got resolved.”)
>
> Haven't had a problem (RR is on the list of "if you don't like losing
> mail, don't do that" mailboxes for my lists).
>
>> My hosting provider, DreamHost, continues to assert this is my
>> problem and not theirs.
>
> This may be partly true, if you are falling afoul of the "too many
> recipients per message" limit.  In that case, if the option is
> available, then you should set personalization on for lists will more
> than a very few RR subscribers.  If not, see "full of" below.

I will probably turn that on soon - it is available to me.

> Does NightmareHost offer you any advice?  Or are they just saying "if
> you don't like our service, find another one?"  I think "find another
> one" is a great idea, personally.

On this instance, they haven’t been very helpful.  For the most part, though, they have been decent.  The largest of my lists that I admin has over 7600 subscribers, with about 15 emails going out daily - that’s about 115K total emails a day, and for the price I am paying DH, I haven’t found anywhere near a better deal.  So I accept these (occasional) issues along with the deal I’m getting.

-Conrad

--
See something, Say something.