[Mailman-Users] Executive summary of DMARC issues

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu May 15 02:20:34 CEST 2014

On 05/14/2014 01:24 PM, Barry S. Finkel wrote:

> Is this also true?
>
> Users from DMARC-reject domains send mail to mailing lists, and the
> resulting mail from the mailing list is rejected.  Enough rejections
> can cause the mailing list possibly to be blacklisted for sending lots
> of "spam" mail.

We don't know, and can't know until Mailman servers start getting
blacklisted for this reason.

Actually, From: domains can request reports even if DMARC p=none. It is
unclear what might be done with these reports, but given what some
domains have done with DMARC already, I for one would not be surprised
if this information was used to color the reputation of the sending server.

Note that currently, Yahoo.com only requests aggregate reports which *I
think* do not identify the sending server, but AOL.com requests failure
reports as well which are intended to identify servers and actual senders.