[Mailman-Users] A word to the wise: spam-checking and RFC conformance

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed May 14 09:52:36 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I just discovered that the spam-checker for a non-Mailman list I
subscribe to (I suspect SpamAssassin but I can't confirm yet, the MLM
is ListServ) is introducing 8-bit characters into the header.

What appears to be happening is that the original post uses a
Content-Transfer-Encoding of 8bit or binary, and contains some 8-bit
octets (typically fancy quotes and the occasional accented character
in the posts I receive), and the spam checker copies an excerpt from
the body into the "X-Spam-Report" field *verbatim*, including the
non-ASCII characters.

If your spam-checker doesn't produce an "X-Spam-Report" field or
similar, you don't have the problem.  If it does, you might want to
check its behavior with respect to body excerpts.

Regards,
Steve