[Mailman-Users] Logging fail?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 13 02:32:17 CEST 2014

On 05/12/2014 01:40 AM, Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Is incomingRunner running? OutgoingRunner?
>
> Like I said, the runners are running.

I apologize for my skepticism, but many people will see a list of
qrunner processes and assume that *all* are running.

>> What's in Mailman's qrunner log?
>
> Nothing.

There can't be "Nothing" in the qrunner log unless you never started
mailmnanctl or you're looking at the wrong log?

> The message was in qfiles/in and once I reverted back to 2.1.14,
> rebooted and restarted mailman
> it got delivered.

Then IncomingRunner wasn't processing the queue. It may have died, or
due to some install glitch it may have been looking at a different in/
queue from the one where the process invoked by Postfix put it. Maybe
the install of 2.1.18 put things in different places so the Postfix
aliases pointed to the 2.1.14 install and not 2.1.18. That might also
explain why the qrunner log was empty if it truly was.

> On a possibly related note, when I ran mailmanctl stop the 2.1.18
> IncomingRunner did not die.
> Doing a kill -KILL on it would kill it, but it would immediately
> respawn.  After several attempts
> to get rid of it, I installed 2.1.14 and rebooted the server.

mailmanctl stop depends on Mailman's data/master-qrunner.pid containing
the PID of mailmanctl. Perhaps things were confused about where this
file was.

The respawning is probably due to some watcher that's part of some
previously installed package.