[Mailman-Users] DMARC and Reply-To lines with from_is_list munging.

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sun May 11 11:28:03 CEST 2014

Lindsay Haisley writes:

 > Stephen's point, and yours too as I take it, is that making it too easy
 > and transparent to read wrapped email essentially legitimizes the social
 > misbehavior of ESPs which have implemented DMARC, and Stephen has
 > underlined the pie-in-the-sky-ness of the idea by pointing out that it
 > will be a sub-zero day in Hell when the authors of MUAs would go along
 > with such an idea.

Legitimizing the ESPs does bother me, but that wasn't my point, and I
think it probably wasn't John's either.  My point was that anything
that makes it appear that a message whose DKIM signature doesn't
verify is actually from the user assigned that address can be emulated
by spammers.  That will cause these same ESPs to try to prevent that
from happening, and the cycle starts again.

The MUA authors (at least the MUAs I use ;-) will catch up by the
way.  Some already do, actually.