[Mailman-Users] Reply-To Munging - Feature Request

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat May 10 06:38:29 CEST 2014

On 05/08/2014 02:34 PM, Dave Nathanson wrote:

> AFTER DEMARC, using the best settings for us that we can:
>
> FROM: Author_Name via ListName <everybody at lists.example.com>
> TO: ListName <everybody at example.com>
> REPLY-TO: ListName <everybody at example.com>
>
> This is *pretty good* except that
> * I don't like the "via list name" in the from header, even though I understand that is the new reality.
> * I don't like the lack of an author email address.
>
> I also tried:
> first_strip_reply_to  = No
> But that means a normal reply will go to both the list & the author. So the author will get 2 copies, and I don't feel that is desirable, even though it seems to be the only way to include the author's email address.

Well then you won't like 2.1.18 because it will put the original From:
in Reply-To: even if first_strip_reply_to = Yes, but the author won't
get 2 copies if the author's "Avoid duplicate copies of messages?"
option (nodups in the admin Membership List) is Yes which is the normal
default. The issue however is the author gets the direct reply, not the
list copy which is the only way it can work, but may not be the copy
she'd prefer to get.

> FEATURE REQUEST:
> A setting to control the new "From" line. Instead of FROM: Author_Name via ListName <everybody at lists.example.com>
> I want to request that it offer the option to let the list admin config what goes there after the author's name. I would use this setting to say:
> FROM: Author_Name via Club Name <everybody at example.com>
>   substituted "Club Name" for "List Name", and used
>   explicit reply_to_address instead of list address.

I'll consider this. It would help to keep my attention if you would
submit this to the tracker at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+filebug>