[Mailman-Users] Results of testing posts to yahoogroups from AOL

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 9 23:50:10 CEST 2014

I finally got around to testing this. I posted three times to my test
Yahoo group from 'Mark Sapiro <my_aol_address at aol.com>'. One post with
the group set to send replies to the group and one post with the group
set to send replies to the sender and one post with the group set to
send replies to the sender and the group.

In all cases, the posts were sent with

From: "Mark Sapiro my_aol_address at aol.com [my_yahoo_groupname]"
<my_yahoo_groupname at yahoogroups.com>

In the first case (replies to group), there was

in the post from the group. This seems correct, and my actual address
was in the display name portion of From:

In the second case, there was no Reply-To: in the message meaning a
simple 'reply' was addressed to the From: address which I suppose is
fairly easy to edit to go to me, but without editing, 'reply' goes to
the group which is wrong.

In the third (reply to both) case there is a

<my_aol_address at aol.com>

which is correct.

So the bottom line is Yahoo groups does From: header munging when
necessary because of DMARC policies on the From: domain and they manage