[Mailman-Users] mailman processor sponge?

Ecklund, Morgan Morgan.Ecklund at state.vt.us
Thu May 8 16:51:25 CEST 2014

Hello Listers,
I migrated to a VMware ESXI environment  from an old P3/512 MB mailman server (RedHat/sendmail, mailman had been upgraded to 2.1.x (I think)).
The new environment is CentoOS 6.2 Postfix Mailman 2.1.16rc2.
Anyway the old server was a rock!
The new mailman environment is a processor sponge (clearly not an all-natural hand collected sponge either)
I will go over the entire process.
After quite a bit of work with the migration (mostly because my learning curve with postfix)  I got Mailman working.
So we noticed right off the bat that Mailman was maxing the processor and filling memory and later I found that it was filling up the hard drive...
So I had the ESXI admin add another processor and memory.
Fixed the memory problem.
Then all the sudden messages stopped going out to lists ( that was when I found out the drive was filling up).
I found that the data directory was large,  dare I say bloated beyond recognition.
Looked like old held messages were filling up the drive (I think from my Postfix testing, maybe).
I went in and ran "bin/discard data/heldmsg-mailman-1*" restarted mailman. Seemed to fix the problem.
I also noticed there was a  owner-bounces.mbox
-rw-------.  1 mailman mailman 51198511 May  8 10:25 owner-bounces.mbox
The drive filling issue appears to under control now.
Further trouble shooting and a report that we were getting bounce reports saying that google was not allowing more message per smtp connection.
Led me to add these lines to my mm_cfg.py file.
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 1
VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes
Now the processor is close to 100%. Messages are going out slow.
I followed some trouble shooting guides to many to mention.

So I put it to you ohh masters of the Mailman universe..
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Morgan Ecklund