[Mailman-Users] DMARC and Reply-To lines with from_is_list munging.

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed May 7 03:06:49 CEST 2014

On May 06, 2014, at 05:17 PM, Glenn Sieb wrote:

>Fair enough. So, basically I'm fsck'd. Set the lists to be
>"anonymous_list" or set an explicit reply-to to be the lists and hope
>that strips out the extraneous reply-to entry.

Yes, and sadly it's forced on us by external policies.

I must admit that I'm sympathetic to John Levine's solution over in
mailman-developers.  His implementation adds `.invalid` to the domain in the
From header.  Yes it breaks the standards and you'd still have to explicitly
modify the headers in the reply (the ease of which depends on your MUA), but
it avoids tricky interactions with the already fragile and overloaded Reply-To
header munging, and points the finger in the direction of the original problem.

I need to read that whole thread and think about it some more.  It's painfully
clear that DMARC as defined and implemented today is poison to mailing lists,
and it's a shame that you, our dear users, are the canaries.  I hope we can
have some constructive discussions with the DMARC advocates about how to
restore usability to mailing lists in a DMARC pervasive world.

Cheers,
-Barry