[Mailman-Users] 2.1.18 internal documentation suggestions

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 2 07:09:53 CEST 2014

On 05/01/2014 09:26 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

> If first_strip_reply_to = No there are two possible situations which
> aren't covered in your (much improved!) self-doc.  Either the original
> poster included a Reply-To:, or not.  If not, then I assume the original
> From: address is put into the Reply-To: address. Yes?

Yes.

> If the original
> poster included a Reply-To: address then DMARC forces us into a
> situation in which we can't avoid information loss.  Either the poster's
> it?

Neither. The poster's From: address is merged with the other addresses
in the original Reply-To:. I.e. The Poster's From: address will be there
as will all the other addresses in the original Reply-To:, but there
will be no duplicates.

What do I need to change to make this clear. Note that earlier under the
Munge From action, it says "... and adds the poster's address to the
original From: address added to the Reply-To: header".

So it seems clear to me that we're *adding* the From: address to
this, and the answer is if it's Yes, the Reply-To: we're adding to was
stripped and is empty, and if No we're adding to the original. Do I have
to repeat that last bit further down?

Maybe instead of "the Reply-To: header" in the two action statements, I
should say "the addresses in the original Reply-To: header". I.e. "...
and adds the poster's address to the addresses in the original Reply-To:
header" and "with the original From: address added to the addresses in
the original Reply-To: header". Does that help?