[Mailman-Users] Q : Has anyone successfully deployed Mailman over a Plesk-based Linux system ?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 24 18:49:31 CET 2014

On 03/24/2014 07:32 AM, Jacques Setton wrote:

> 3) There is a diagram posted on Parallels' Knowledge Base => Page 3 of an
> MTA Presentation (source URL :
> http://kb.parallels.com/Attachments/kcs-15646/MTA_presentation.pdf) which
> highlights the alternative use of 'plesk_virtual', 'mailman' or 'relay'
> modules to process/deliver mails to their appropriate destinations.

And the Postfix section of this presentation clearly shows the use of a
'mailman' transport which uses the module
/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/postfix-mailman (almost certainly a version of
postfix_to_mailman.py or similar) to deliver to Mailman.

The issue appears to be that you are configuring Mailman lists in a
Postfix virtual domain which is using the plesk-virtual transport which
is apparently not compatible with normal Postfix virtual alias domains.

> 4) Such finding corroborates well with the corresponding actual settings
> appearing in the 'master.cf' on our server, as follows :
>
> 	[ ... ]
> 	plesk_virtual unix - n n - - pipe flags=DORhu user=popuser:popuser
> argv=/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/postfix-local -f ${sender} -d ${recipient} -p
> /var/qmail/mailnames
>
> 	mailman unix - n n - - pipe flags=R user=mailman:mailman
> argv=/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/postfix-mailman ${nexthop} ${user} ${recipient}
>
> 	# When relaying mail as backup MX, disable fallback_relay to avoid
> MX loops
> 	relay     unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp      -o
> smtp_fallback_relay=
> 	smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
>  	[ ... ]
>
> 5) The above settings specify the target 'argv=' routines as being either
> 'postfix-local' or 'postfix-mailman', both located in
> '/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/' directory. I checked and confirm that they are there
> as expected. In addition, this is fully in-line with the MTA Presentation
> diagram referred to in point 3 above...
>

>>> Perhaps you should try removing all the Mailman specific aliases and
>>> virtual-mailman stuff and configuring postfix_to_mailman instead.
>
> Based on the previous comments, if we removed all the Mailman specific
> aliases, etc. I believe that the system wouldn't work better and would
> probably even generate errors (due to the missing 'p-to-m.py' file). My
> feeling is that the problem results more from a possible wrong parameter
> setup in the remainder of 'master.cf' or possibly in 'main.cf' configuration
> files, but I wouldn't be able to determine where... Would you agree with
> this assessment ?

No. I think if you remove the Mailman specific aliases, etc and
configure yout transport maps to use the 'mailman' transport fot your
list domain, it will work.