[Mailman-Users] Configuration of New Mailman Instance

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 15 18:45:57 CET 2014

On 03/14/2014 03:12 PM, Paul Crown wrote:

> My scenerio:
>
> Server W is running Apache2, and my initial config has
> http://lists.mydomain.com letting me login as admin and create new lists.
> Server P is running Postfix
> Server R is my mail-relay for outbound SMTP traffic unique to this domain
>
> No messages are being sent out through R or any other server for that
> matter.
> No messages are being received by P.  (5.1.1 list-email address
> rejected: user unknown in relay recipient table.

Which server has Mailman installed?

It looks like W.

This can work, but I might install Mailman on P and configure Postfix on
P per <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html>.

If Mailman is on W, you have to configure Postfix on P to relay list
mail to W and have some kind of MTA/MDA on W to deliver that mail to
Mailman.

If Mailman is on P you need to share Mailman's file system or at least
$var-prefix via NFS or whatever between W and P.

Either way, you need to set SMTPHOST in Mailman/mm_cfg.py to point to R.

If your only issue is P's "user unknown in relay recipient table" see
<user unknown in relay recipient table> for how to get Mailman to write
it's virtual-mailman file which can be used as relay_recipient_maps on P.