[Mailman-Users] Can confirmation messages use custom Received: headers?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 15 18:20:29 CET 2014

On 03/14/2014 02:42 PM, Yan Juras wrote:

> I was looking at the Spamcop FAQ and noticed a brief comment about the Received headers that some webmail interfaces add that list the IP address of the client that used HTTP to submit the email via a webmail GUI, for example:

> The Spamcop FAQ kind of implies that Spamcop will consider the source of the HTTP (in this example, 66.191.176.186) as the sender, rather than the email server that converted the HTTP to SMTP. I've not checked this at all, so I may be reading into the FAQ.
>
> So my question is this: can Mailman be configured in some straightforward way to add a Received: header with the IP address of the host that requested the subscription? I am not a Python programmer, but I am capable of making code changes if necessary.

defined by RFC 5321 and its predecessors. They are to be added at the
beginning of the headers by servers that relay the message. The
implication is that the agent that generates the message (Mailman in
this case) should not be including a Received: header in the generated
message, but you could do it.

The attached patch is an example of how this could be done. Note that
the Received: header is inserted at the front of the msg._headers list
rather than setting it in the normal way which would add it at the end.