[Mailman-Users] Reducing false positives with spam markings with Gmail, etc.

Cedric Knight cedric at gn.apc.org
Fri Mar 14 23:16:36 CET 2014

Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote on Wed Nov 20 2013:
> Steven Clift writes:
>  > Thanks Stephen.
>  >
>  > Are most mailman hosts finding their mail in Gmail heading to the
>  > "Promotions" tab or "Forums" optional tab?
>
> I don't receive any Mailman mail at my Gmail address, so I can't say.
> But hold that thought ... if you don't get any response, I'll ping
> some of my gmail subscribers and ask them.  (Remind me after a week or
> so, I've been unreliable at remembering promises recently.)

Reminder?

I've had complaints about this specifically with list *confirmation
emails* being being misclassified under "promotions", resulting in some
users assuming they are subscribed when they haven't actually confirmed.

There are hints about this change at Gmail at
<http://groupserver.org/groups/development/messages/topic/iYuRUBysGQMMbZ98m73dZ>,
that it might be a result of the "Precedence: bulk" header added to
administrivia messages.

Any more evidence?  Do any standards help decide if Gmail or Mailman is
wrong?

CK