[Mailman-Users] Direct message to archive only?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 14 02:19:39 CET 2014

On 03/13/2014 04:21 PM, Keith Bierman wrote:

> Similar to that posting, I find myself needing to "replay" off list
> discussions for the record. With mailman, controlled by cPanel is there any
> way to accomplish this without actually posting to the list itself?

Here's how I would do it.

1) create a *nix mbox format file containing the messages.
2) stop mailman
3) run Mailman's 'bin/arch LISTNAME /path/to/mbox_created_in_1
4) cat >> archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox <
/path/to/mbox_created_in_1
5) start mailman

LISTNAME is the cPanel list name, i.e. list_domain

steps 2 and 5 are to ensure no other messages arrive between steps 3 and
4. It isn't critical if they do, but it would result in renumbering of
these messages if the archive is ever rebuilt in total from
archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox.

Another way to do it would be to stop Mailman's OutgoingRunner only,
post the messages to the list, remove the queue entries for those
messages only from Mailman's out/ queue and restart OutgoingRunner.

Or do a similar thing with the MTA rather than OutgoingRunner.

Note that it is unlikely that a list owner in a shared hosted cPanel
environment would have the necessary access to do any of the above.