[Mailman-Users] custom message for banned address

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jun 30 23:42:08 CEST 2014

On 06/30/2014 09:57 AM, Jim McKinney wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're currently running Mailman 2.1.12
>
> I have been asked if we can customized message for addresses that are
> banned on certain lists, similar to the ability to customize
> postheld.txt for specific lists.  We have a group of lists that we would
> like to limit membership to our domain but would like to have a little
> more explanation than the default message provides.  For the general
> case the default is fine, but for a subset some customizing would great.

The short answer is No. The current messages are coded in more than one
module and are not all the same, but for your purposes,
Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py for web subscribes and
Mailman/Commands/cmd_subscribe.py for email subscribes would probably
cover it.

These modules make no provision for list specific messages, so doing so
would require altering the modules.

It is possible to globally change the messages without modifying code,
by creating the path and file messages/en/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po
containing something like the attached edited for your desired messages
and then compiling it with

~mailman/bin/msgfmt ~mailman/messages/en/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po