[Mailman-Users] Mailman not showing sender's name for DMARC domain policy=reject

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 27 23:29:10 CEST 2014

On 06/27/2014 11:22 AM, Gordon Dickens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am runningseveral mailing lists with mailman version 2.1.18-1. Oneof
> my mailing lists does not ever show the sender's name in the From:
> headerfor DMARC domain policy=reject while the rest of my lists do show
> the sender's name in the From: header. I have compared the individual
> list settings and cannot find anything different.  The list settings for
> the list that isn't showing the sender's name are as follows_:
>
> _General Options:
>
>     from_is_list = No
>     anonymous_list = No
>     first_strip_reply_to = No
>     reply_goes_to_list = "This list"
>
> Privacy options > Sender filters:
>
>     dmarc_moderation_action = Munge From
>     dmarc_quarantine_moderation_action = Yes
>
> My understanding is that one of the following should be displayed for a
> DMARC domainpolicy=reject:
>
> The author's display name fromtheir From: header
>      or;
> If none and from a list member, the members real name from the
> membership list
>      or;
> If none, at least the local part of the emailaddress.

This understanding is correct.

> Does anybody have any idea what setting that I need to change to fix this?

It should work with the settings you have.

If you look at the raw message source of one of these messages from the
list, what does the From: look like?  Is it

From: via LISTNAME <listname at list.domain>

with only a single space between 'From:' and 'via' or something else?
Also, what is in the Reply-To: header in addition to the list posting
address?

There is a bug in this area. See
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1318025>. If these posts are
all from a single user, it could be due to a missing or unparseable
From: header in the incoming mail.