[Mailman-Users] Scrub_nondigest questions may be attachment-move custom handler

Sylvain Viart sylvain at opensource-expert.com
Mon Jun 23 11:30:36 CEST 2014

Hi Peter,

I programmed a custom handler that complete or replace Scrub_nondigest
handler:

AttachmentMove

You can test or try it here:

Hosting in done in France and could be slow to reach from foreign
countries.
This running version is not commited yet, minor i8n changes.
It's also working in production of a customer with a list of 930
subscribers since 3 weeks.

The code and the doc : https://github.com/Sylvain303/mailman-AttachmentMove

Le 23/06/2014 10:03, Peter Shute a écrit :
>> If anyone who's using this option could forward me a message from their list with a linked image so I can check how well it works, that would be greatly appreciated

AttachmentMove  keeps embedded images, they could be moved as well.
The remote hosting for attachment can be same or a different one that
the server running mailman.

To reply to your first post:

> We're considering enabling the scrub_nondigest option for our list. The aim is to allow members to send jpg files to the list (currently filtered) and have mailman include a link to them in messages instead of the actual attachment.

That is the purpose of AttachmentMove.

> I believe it will store the scrubbed images in the archives. We have archiving turned off. Do we need to turn them on to allow the images to be placed there, or will it happen anyway?

Attachment are stored "locally" and on a remote hosting. The local
storage (on the mailman server) is not the archive. And it is used to
avoid duplicate file name when uploaded on the webserver.

> Once we have images stored in the archives, how easy is it for members to access them when they click on the links in the messages? Will they need a password to see them?

AttachmentMove, publish the image on a different hosting no password are
required, the goal was to keeps user away for technical details.

> Will we be able to selectively delete images when our disk space begins to fill up? Or will they all be stored in a single archive file? We're using cpanel, if that matters.

Not storage management is coded yet, a cron with the good "find -mtime"
could do the trick.
It's in my idea to handle that too.

> If anyone who's using this option could forward me a message from their list with a linked image so I can check how well it works, that would be greatly appreciated.

I sent you an example we have made on the test list.

Let me know if that meet your needs.

Regards,
Sylvain.