[Mailman-Users] Bounces not being detected

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Jun 22 02:04:50 CEST 2014

Peter Fraser writes:

 > The message I showed earlier was the postfix on the same box as
 > mailman. Mailman should detect those bounces.  I was just thinking
 > based on what you said about some smtp servers getting the 5xx
 > status from downstream servers thatthose errors would not reach
 > mailman the way things are set up here. I hadn't considered that.
 >
 > So do those .pck files mean the bouncerunner is working?

No.  The presence of .pck files means (a) some runner is behind in its
work but will eventually get to them, (b) some runner is waiting for
human intervention (moderations), or (c) some runner isn't running.
Depending on the name and the directory where found, they correspond
to different runners.

To find out if the bounce runner is running you use ps from the
command line on the Mailman host.  On Linux, the command

    ps ax | grep BounceRunner

will find it.  If that command produces output, it's running (actually
you need to check the status in the third column, if it's S or R the
process is normal, if it's Z or T something bad has happened).