[Mailman-Users] adress on same server cannot send to list with thunderbird on port 587

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jun 21 18:14:20 CEST 2014

On 06/21/2014 05:44 AM, Jérôme Fabre wrote:

> I use mailman on a server that hosts all my mails for some domains.
> system is release 3 ovh based on Centos6.
> with thunderbird (or any other mail client), i use port 587. But with
> this configuration, i cannot send emails to my list. I recieve an error
> message from the daemon saying "user unknown". I think postfix search a
> user in mailboxes and don't consider mailman.
> If i change the port for 25 in the smtp configuration of thunderbird,
> ervery thing works fine. But i really want to use 587.
> (i have a webmail on this server that can post to the lists, external
> domains can also post)

This is really a Postfix configuration issue, not a Mailman issue.
Depending on the particular Mailman installation, Postfix delivers to
Mailman either via aliases and the Postfix 'local' transport or via a
defined 'mailman' transport. With CentOS, it's probably the former.

For some reason, when the list message arrives to Postfix via port 25,
delivery to the list address is handled as it should be, but when the
message arrives to Postfix via port 587, a different transport is used
which doesn't know how to deliver to the list address.

This is a Postfix issue and this list is not the best place for Postfix
issues, but if you need more help and have sufficient access to the
server, post the output from 'postconf -n' and the complete Postfix
maillog 'status=bounced' entry from a failed list delivery.

If you don't have sufficient access, this will have to be resolved by
the server admins.