[Mailman-Users] Ignore DMARC bounces?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 17 04:29:42 CEST 2014

On 06/16/2014 06:36 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Mark Sapiro writes:
>
>  > While the idea of identifying a DMARC bounce and "forwarding" the
>  > original post to the bounced recipient wrapped in some boilerplate about
>  > the need to do so has some appeal, I think the implementation would be
>  > too messy to contemplate. If you wish to try, the code is at
>  > <https://code.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1> aka 'bzr branch
>  > lp:mailman/2.1'.
>
> For wrapping the message, the logic in dmarc_moderation_action is much
> more efficient.  It checks for DMARC p=reject at the Author Domain,
> and then does something.  Wrapping the message so that the "outside"
> message is "From:" the list and the inside message is the original
> (modified per list policy) is one option.  I'm not sure if there's any
> way to specify an explanatory message, but it would be easy to add
> such an option.

Yes, what Stephen says is correct. It would be a simple matter to add
say a dmarc_wrapped_message_text field which text if provided would be
added as a separate MIME text/plain part along with the wrapped message
when the message was wrapped due to dmarc_moderation_action.

What I was saying was "too messy to contemplate" was the notion of
sending the post with the original From: to all recipients and then
resending a wrapped message only to those recipients that bounce the
original.