[Mailman-Users] Determine listserv that a member belongs to

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Jun 16 22:47:56 CEST 2014

At Mon, 16 Jun 2014 13:27:34 -0700 Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 06/16/2014 12:49 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> >
> > There is a shell command that does that:
> >
> > /usr/lib/mailman/bin/find_member
> >
> > I don't know if there is a web interface to this command.
>

> There's not. A site could implement one - see the FAQ at
> <http://wiki.list.org/x/uIA9> - but this is not a capability that should
> be made generally available to a list admin or even more widely.
>
> It's a privacy concern. Just because I happen to subscribe to your list
> doesn't mean you should be able to know what other lists I might
> subscribe to. That's why only site admins (people who have sufficient
> access to the Mailman installation on the server) have this capability.

Right.  I've found it useful when some yahoo sends a message to 'webmaster',
asking to be unsubscribed from an *unspecificed* E-Mail list.  Either they are
assuming that there is only one list or something. (Or they are using a
braindead E-Mail client/service when they replied to their monthly reminder
message and did not quote the monthly reminder message.)

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com