[Mailman-Users] Ignore DMARC bounces?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jun 16 19:46:25 CEST 2014

On 06/16/2014 10:10 AM, Bryan Wright wrote:
> Could we not send the message out as usual, then on a p=reject bounce, forward the original message (so it comes from the mailing list) along with an explanation of what is transpiring to the bounced user, plus to the message author?  Maybe include a note suggesting the author change mail providers.  This way if the message author's domain causes 20 bounces, they get 20 messages letting them know they need to change mail providers.

Aside from the fact that this would be a real kludge to implement,
inundating the message author who is in a very real sense an innocent
victim of his ESPs policy with this kind of backscatter is unacceptable.

Note that on April 4, one post to one of my lists From: a yahoo.com
address which was sent to only 236 individual message subscribers was
bounced by 90 of them. Of those 90 bounces, I'm not sure how many I
could identify reliably as DMARC bounces without just assuming they were
because the From: domain published a DMARC p=reject policy. But, my
point is close to 40% of the list member's ESPs honored the p=reject
policy. YMMV, but that's a lot of extra handling.

While the idea of identifying a DMARC bounce and "forwarding" the
original post to the bounced recipient wrapped in some boilerplate about
the need to do so has some appeal, I think the implementation would be
too messy to contemplate. If you wish to try, the code is at
<https://code.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1> aka 'bzr branch
lp:mailman/2.1'.