[Mailman-Users] postfix MTA - getting smtpd...mailman/data/aliases.db: Permission denied

J Davis countryroad62 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 21:18:04 CEST 2014

Fresh source install of mailman 2.1.18 on centos with current centos
postifx 2.6.6. This combo worked on my Solaris box and I moved mailman to
centos for an upgrade. I've copied my basic postfix main.cf to the linux
box - no changes needed. Mail tests in and out of the box work OK.

genaliases makes the db OK. Check_perms runs OK. If I delete the aliases.db
file then postfix complains it can't find the file - as expected. I've been
starring at this all day and I'm blank.

main.cf snippit:
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/export/home/mailman/data/aliases

Mailman's aliases files:
-rw-rw----. 1 mailman mailman 10317 Jun  5 12:43 mailman/data/aliases
-rw-r-----. 1 mailman mailman 24576 Jun  5 12:43 mailman/data/aliases.db

Mailman comes up and I can access the web OK and see all my migrated lists,
members, archives, etc.

Anyone have an idea what to look at next? I've followed the steps in the
install guide but I'm thinking that there is something with the centos
postfix that is mucking me up.

Typical maillog error:

Jun  5 13:10:08 mailman postfix/local[10075]: fatal: open database
/export/home/mailman/data/aliases.db: Permission denied

Mailman made with:

./configure --prefix=/export/home/mailman
--with-python=/opt/local/bin/python \
        --with-cgi-gid=daemon \
        --with-mailhost=mailman.mydom --with-urlhost=mailman.mydom \
        --with-var-prefix=/export/home/mailman

Jim Davis