[Mailman-Users] Moving Configurations and Lists to a New Server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 6 06:33:55 CEST 2014

On 06/05/2014 08:45 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:

> OH no, it can do that all right, but it's a little odd in how it does
> it. Instead of putting both addresses in the "To" field, it puts the
> author in "To" and the mailing list in "CC". I just use the regular
> reply and change the address, pointing that reply back here. It's a
> kluge, but it's what I got :-).

Whether "reply all" puts the list in To: or Cc: is dependent on your
MUA. Thunderbird which I'm using here puts both the list (original To:)
and the poster (original From:) in To: and any additional To: recipients
in To: and any Cc: recipients in Cc:. Other MUAs may differ.

Thunderbird also offers "Reply List" which is what I'm using here.

Mutt, which I also use, has a "group reply" option which puts the
original To: in Cc: and also has a "list reply" option to reply to just
the list.

For an idea of some of the reasons why this list is "reply to poster"
and not "reply to list" see
<http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html>. It's somewhat dated,
but still relevant.

Note also that "reply all" can be useful and does not require you to
remove the OP's address. If you leave the OP's address as a recipient of
your Reply, the OP controls whether or not she receives duplicates, and
you may be doing the OP a favor by keeping her in the loop if she's a
digest subscriber.

Common practice on this list is "reply all" or "reply list" except in
cases where the reply must contain private information which shouldn't
be on the list.