[Mailman-Users] emails with extension .se rejected

M Winther malwinse at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 07:02:57 CEST 2014

Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition).

If I use any of my my Swedish email addresses (.se) my messages keep
bouncing on account of "iajsdiscussionlist.org: DNS server failure."
Yahoo groups intermittently has the same problem. However, in this case
the messages just disappear. So I must use my google email address. I
have always had this problem with my ".se" emails. Sometimes when
posting to a journal, for instance, my message is regarded as spam. I
suppose it has to do with the fact that ".se" is not a known American
state.

I have also observed that messages from other contributors never arrive
in my inbox, although they appear in the archive. But this occurs more
rarely.

The list software also tends to corrupt messages in the archive by
inserting digits instead of characters (for citation characters, etc.),
when the user is *not* using plain text with "dumb" citation signs, etc.
I suppose this has to do with the moderator copying a big message for
the sake of reviewing, and then posting it without regard to the format.

In messages of mine, citation characters (right arrow) are sometimes
randomly inserted. I use plain text that is line wrapped. Moreover, a
drawback is that messages cannot be removed afterwards. I don't know how
professors, concerned about their professional reputation, can tolerate
this. After all, when partaking in discussion lists, we sometimes say
things which we later regret, on account of changed views, for instance.

M. Winther