[Mailman-Users] Web interfaces and list addresses - different domains?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 15 23:26:22 CEST 2014

On 07/15/2014 09:55 AM, Sajan Parikh wrote:
> What's going to be the best way to configure all the web interfaces to
> run on a domain like lists.domain.com, but have all the list addresses
> by domain.com?
>
> I couldn't find anything about this sort of setup in the docs. Maybe I
> didn't look hard enough?

I'm confused. If you want a single web domain and a single email domain,
this is the usual configuration. Just set the following in mm_cfg.py

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.domain.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'domain.com'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

Then run Mailman's

bin/withlist -a -r fix_url

To update the lists' web_page_url and host_name. See the FAQs at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/mIA9> and <http://wiki.list.org/x/gIA9>.

> I assume, I'll just have to change the aliases and forward the different
> domains to the lists, but will Mailman actually accept this?

Do you mean that you will have multiple domains of the form
lists.domain.com for web access and domain.com for email.

If so, you will need to put additional

add_virtualhost('lists.otherdomain1.com', 'otherdomain1.com')
add_virtualhost('lists.otherdomain2.com', 'otherdomain2.com')

lines following the

line in mm_cfg.py and run commands like

bin/withlist -r fix_url list1 -u lists.otherdomain1.com

for each list with the appropriate -u web_host option for the list.

In any case, aliases use only the list name and probably don't need to
be changed, but if some of these domains are non-local, you may need
virtual mappings.

In order to advise you further, I would need to know more about your MTA
configuration and how it delivers to Mailman. Your mention of
lists.domain.com makes me think you might be using a debian/ubuntu
package. If so, and if you are using postfix_to_mailman.py, see the FAQ
at <http://wiki.list.org/x/EYDt>.