[Mailman-Users] HTML messages being scrubbed...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jul 12 20:26:21 CEST 2014

On 07/11/2014 11:31 PM, Peter Knowles wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ever since I upgraded Mailman to address DMARC issues in April a number of
> archives have been having their HTML messages scrubbed.

I suspect you upgraded to 2.1.16 or 2.1.17 and that 2.1.18 and 2.1.18-1
do not have this behavior.

I'm not sure why this is happening, but it 2.1.18+, the archived message
should be the same as it would be without DMARC mitigation, but in
2.1.16 and 2.1.17, if the from_is_list setting in Munge From, it is the
Munged message that is archived.

On the other hand, HTML parts are always scrubbed from the archive, at
least with the default setting of ARCHIVE_HTML_SANITIZER. See the
documentation for this setting in Defaults.py.

> The result is that the archived message shows all these scrubbed notices
> instead of the actual message.
>
> What is causing this and how do I resolve this?
>
> *** is there a way to fix existing archives as well? ***

As I said, I'm not sure what's causing it. If the issue is that you
previously had some non-default setting for ARCHIVE_HTML_SANITIZER and
it got lost in your upgrade (because you changed it in Defaults.py
instead of overriding it in mm_cfg.py or ??), you can now set it as you
want in mm_cfg.py and restart Mailman which will fix the issue for new
messages, and rebuilding a list's archives with 'bin/arch --wipe' (see
the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/oIA9>) should fix the existing messages.

If there is some other cause, I would need to see both an 'old' and a
'new' message from archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox to see
what's different to begin to understand why.