[Mailman-Users] Minor suggestion: Template for "admindb" page

Jay Sekora jsekora at csail.mit.edu
Tue Jan 21 23:08:32 CET 2014

Hi!  This is just a thought that popped into my head and I thought I'd
share it with the world.  Apologies if this has already been discussed
or is already in development for Mailman 3.

It would be nice if either the "admindb" page for a list were
templatable, with the HTML template editable per-list, or it included a
custom-per-list HTML snippet at the top the way the listinfo page does.

That way, a list owner could provide per-list information or links to
list moderators.  (For instance, a reminder of policy for who should be
on the list, or a link to some other non-Mailman tool, or just snippets
of text to be pasted into the "rejection reason" fields.)  It could also
be useful just to add some list branding, so it's a bit more obvious
*which* list you're approving requests for.  (We have some
similarly-named lists with different policies, and just as the posters
sometimes get confused and send to the wrong list, the moderators
sometimes get confused and approve for the wrong list.)

To make this vaguely on-topic for mailman-users, has anybody done
something like this?  Anybody have patches?  I could hardcode this
myself (with "if" clauses to distinguish particular lists of interest)
in Mailman/Cgi/admindb.py, but I'm not familiar enough with the Mailman
codebase to know how to add a new per-list configuration field.  (So
actually if anybody has a pointer to info on how to do that that would
be interesting too.)

Cheers,

Jay