[Mailman-Users] configuration glitch causing mail delivery fail (FIXED)

Steve Lindemann steve at marmot.org
Wed Jan 8 22:43:30 CET 2014

On 1/7/2014 4:40 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 01/07/2014 03:18 PM, Steve Lindemann wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately when mailman sends messages they fail to deliver to most
>> of the list subscribers and the maillog shows that the helo used is the
>> actual name of the server, not the name of the email server.  Naturally
>> the receiving server disconnects when the names isn't right.
>

> How is Mailman delivering mail? If it is delivering to a local MTA on
> localhost, how it identifies itself in HELO to this MTA is irrelevant as
> it is this MTA, not Mailman that is attempting delivery to the recipient MX.
>

>> I could understand this with the move to the new server except every
>> where I know to configure this (both postfix and mailman) I have the
>> name email.marmot.org configured as the URL of the host.  Regular email
>> works fine from that box, just mailman is having a problem sending.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing?
>

> In the normal case, Mailman relays mail through the local MTA (Postfix).
> How Mailman identifies itself to this MTA is irrelevant as long as the
> MTA accepts the mail from Mailman (does it)?
>
> If the local postfix can deliver mail, but not Mailman's mail, the only
> thing I can see that would affect this is the envelope sender which
> would be LISTNAME-bounces at HOSTNAME where HOSTNAME is the list's
> host_name attribute.

Damn... that was fun.  It took two things to get it working again.  I
needed to rename the server to something with a mx record, in this case:
email.marmot.org vrs what it was.  AND I had to turn off ipv6 on the
interfaces.  Mailman and postfix are on the same box.  Somehow the
mailman messages where picking up the ipv6 localhost address as the
source of the original message and it appears that being rejected by
receiving servers.  Once I renamed the server and ditched ipv6 the
messages started delivering again.
--
Steve