[Mailman-Users] configuration glitch causing mail delivery fail

Steve Lindemann steve at marmot.org
Wed Jan 8 00:18:11 CET 2014

I recently moved my email server (with mailman) onto a new server with a
different host name.  In previous moves the server name was always
email.marmot.org (which has an mx record).    The server it's on now has
a different name and does not have an mx record.  I did add the old IP
address to the public interface so DNS still points to that box as the
mail server and by the name email.marmot.org and I have that in /etc/hosts.

Unfortunately when mailman sends messages they fail to deliver to most
of the list subscribers and the maillog shows that the helo used is the
actual name of the server, not the name of the email server.  Naturally
the receiving server disconnects when the names isn't right.

I could understand this with the move to the new server except every
where I know to configure this (both postfix and mailman) I have the
name email.marmot.org configured as the URL of the host.  Regular email
works fine from that box, just mailman is having a problem sending.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing?
--
Steve Lindemann, MSIS                   __
Network Administrator                  //\\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign